The Caster Chronicles series is originally a four-novel series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. After the main series was completed, a spin-off series set in the same universe was announced and is currently ongoing. A few complementary novellas have also been published.
Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. Mysterious, suspenseful, and romantic, the Caster Chronicles introduce a secret world hidden in plain sight. A world where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen. Sometimes life-ending.
Main series - Beautiful Creatures novelsEdit
|Novella (optional reading)|
|Cover||In-universe chronological order||Title|
|Ethan Wate is haunted by dreams of a girl he’s never met. When Lena Duchannes moves into his small southern town of Gatlin County, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her. And he is determined to uncover the strange connection between them, even if it means uncovering the one secret that could change everything.|
|Together Ethan and Lena can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan’s eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there’s no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his towns history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.|
|When Link joined his best friend, Ethan Wate, on a quest through a mysterious network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, he knew the journey would be dangerous. But returning home to Gatlin, South Carolina was just the beginning…|
|Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena’s Claiming. Even Lena’s family of powerful Supernaturals is affected – and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What – or who – will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?|
|Is death the end . . . or only the beginning? Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves. Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan’s return, vowing to do whatever it takes. Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate.|
Spin-off series - Dangerous Creatures novelsEdit
|Transitional novella (optional reading)|
|Cover||In-universe order||In-series order||Title|
|Catch up with Ethan, Lena, and Link as they finally graduate from high school and get ready to leave the small Southern town of Gatlin. But when Dark Caster Ridley makes an appearance, the sometime bad girl can’t resist picking a fight with her sometime boyfriend, Link. Angry and rebellious as ever, Ridley ends up alone in New York City and becomes entangled in the dangerous underground Caster club scene, where the stakes are high and losers pay the ultimate price.
Where’s a Linkubus when you need him?
|Ridley Duchannes will be the first to tell you that she’s a bad girl. She’s Dark. She’s a Siren. You can never trust her, or even yourself when she’s around. Lucky for her, Wesley “Link” Lincoln can never seem to remember that; quarter Incubus or not, his heart is Mortal when it comes to Ridley. When Link heads to New York City to start a music career, Ridley goes along for the ride-and she has her own reasons. As if leaving small-town Gatlin for the big city, trying to form a band, and surviving life with a partially reformed Siren isn’t hard enough already, Link soon learns he has a price on his head that no Caster or Mortal can ever pay.|
|Ridley is missing, and Link was with her–right up until she vanished. Determined to find her, Link reunites with his New York bandmates and the mysterious Lennox Gates, who wants Rid for himself. Together they travel to the deep south, find the crossroads where blues guitarist Robert Johnson made his deal with the devil, discover a menagerie of Casters locked in cages, and uncover an evil in New Orleans that threatens to destroy them all.
This time, love might not be enough.
Backstories - The Untold Stories novellasEdit
Everyone in Gatlin has a story…
Before she met and married Mitchell Wate, the beautiful and brilliant Lila Jane Evers was an honors student at Duke University. Studying late into the night in the rare books library, she is captivated by a single line of text on an old piece of parchment: “In the Light there is Dark, and in the Dark there is Light.”
What can it mean?
Then one night, Lila Jane meets a mysterious young man who may have the answer. His name is Macon Ravenwood, and for every secret he reveals, he is hiding another. With Macon’s help, Lila Jane uncovers the wonders of the Caster world–the Light and the Dark. But a romance between the Incubus who is fighting his own dark side and this fiercely independent Mortal is doomed from the start. The closer Lila Jane and Macon become, the more her life is in danger.
Fate is a powerful thing...
Ethan Wate is still grieving the loss of his beloved Amma when he receives an unexpected gift--the old, yellow Whitman's Sampler box that held Amma's most closely guarded secrets. "One day I might let you have a look under that lid, Ethan Wate," Amma used to say. "But today isn't the day."
Now it's time for one of her greatest secrets to be revealed. In a long-lost letter, Amma tells Ethan the story of growing up as a young Seer with a remarkable gift for reading cards. But with a power that far-reaching comes responsibility, and Amma has been honoring her mission since before Ethan was born--to protect the Wate family at any cost. So when Lila Jane Evers enters Mitchell Wate's life, bringing the whole Caster world with her, Amma turns to her cards. This time, it's a the reading that will define the rest of her life--and Ethan's.
- Ethan Wate: The main character of the series and whose perspective the series is ultimately told from. He meets Lena Duchannes, the new girl in Gatlin, who appears to be the same girl whom he had been having dreams about. He eventually discovers she is a Caster (in other terms known as a witch) and is soon introduced to the Caster world he never knew existed. He soon leads to make other discovers that his family, including himself, are more involved in the Caster world beyond he could ever imagine. He falls in love with Lena and finds himself fighting beyond all odds in order to be with her due to how their species can never be together (physically since it would mean death for the mortal). He soon also discovers he is a Wayward, the "bridge" between the Caster and Mortal worlds and a "human compass" in the Caster world. He finds out he is the One Who Is Two, the needed-to-be sacrifice in the third novel, and is forced to kill himself in order to save the worlds from destruction; devastating his friends and loved ones.
- Lena Duchannes: The secondary proganist of the novel series. She is a Caster and the new girl in Gatlin in the beginning of the series. She is bullied due to her family and relatives repuation to be "freaks" and ultimately becomes an outcast in town. Lena meets Gatlin teenage resident Ethan Wate, with whom she falls passionately in love with. She struggles to control her dark and powerful abilities often finding herself at a loss of control with them. Her ultimate fear is becoming Dark, as her mother did, and becoming a cruel and heartless person.
- Wesley "Link" Lincoln: Ethan's best friend since childhood, son of Mrs. Lincoln and the on/off boyfriend of Ridley Duchannes. He is shown to be goofy and joking, but expresses a serious side when it comes to Ridley; with whom he falls in love with. He discovers the existence of the Caster world and discovers Ridley is a Dark Siren, but loves her anyway despite how she constantly messes with his head and emotions. In the second novel of the series, he gets bitten by John Breed and turns into an Incubus. As a result of this, many girls develop an infatuation with him, flirting him; inciting vicious jealousy in Ridley though she further denies any feelings towards him.
- Ridley Duchannes: Lena's Siren cousin and ex-childhood best friend and the on/off girlfriend of Link. She turned Dark on her 16th Moon and left Lena to avoid harming anyone she loved. She makes a re-apperance in a year in Beautiful Creatures with a new cocky and rebellious personality. She falls in love with Ethan's childhood best friend, Link. However, her outright refusal to admit she loves him causes heavy complications in their on/off relationship.
- Macon Ravenwood: Lena's uncle who is a fatherly figure for her. He is an Incubus, but chooses to feed on dreams of humans other than blood of humans; being a kind hearted man.
- Amma: Ethan's nanny and a Seer. She is a somewhat motherly/aunt figure towards Ethan, having raised him when his mother died and being a second mother for him when she was. She cares for Ethan in that of a motherly fashion, often referring to him as "her boy".
- Olivia "Liv" Durand: A Keeper in-training.
- John Breed: A Incubus/Caster hybrid.
- Sarafine Duchannes: Lena's mother and a Cataclyst, a Natural that turned dark. She is considered the darkest among all casters living. She used to be a loving and kind person, but after going Dark loses that personality and transforms into a cruel and cold Caster out for herself; even murdering her husband when he planned to take a then-baby Lena away from her for her safety, nearly killing Lena as well in the process. She is killed by Abraham in the third novel.
- Abraham Ravenwood: A Blood Incubus, the one believed to "start" it all, meaning the "darkness". He is Macon's Grandfather and was believed to be dead but is discovered to actually be alive. It's revealed in the third novel, he raised John Breed as a child and often used him as a puppet to get him to do his deeds and dirty work; causing John to black out when such an action was taking place and held no memory of whatever it was that he was doing. Despite these actions, it was shortly suspected that Abraham might have, in fact, genuinely cared for John like a father did to a son. He kills Sarafine in Beautiful Chaos and is the main antagonist in the series next to Sarafine.
- Silas Ravenwood: A Blood Incubus, and Abraham's great-great Grandson. He becomes a main antagonist in the Dangerous Creatures series
- Mrs. Lincoln: Link's mother and head of the DAR. She tries to get Lena expelled from school throughout Beautiful Creatures but turns out she was secretly Sarafine the whole time who was possessing Mrs. Lincoln's body like that of a puppet or costume to disguise herself. She is shown to be very religious and strict as seen by Link's intimidation by her to obey all of her rules.
- Larkin Kent: Lena's cousin and son of Delphine Duchannes and Barclay Kent. Larkin is an Illusionist. He can spell/cast and make anything look like something it isn't. Larkin was known as a Light Caster, but later reveals himself actually as a Dark Caster. He is killed in Beautiful Darkness.
- Ryan Duchannes: Lena's youngest cousin and daughter of Delphine Duchannes and Barclay Kent. Ryan is discovered to be a Thaumaturge, considerably known as a healer or a performer of miracles who are usually known to go Light.
- Delphine "Del" Duchannes: Lena's aunt, Barclay's wife and mother of Ridley, Reece, Ryan and Larkin. She is a Palimpsest and can read time. Delphine is a Light Caster.
- Reece Duchannes: Lena's oldest cousin, Barclay and Delphine's oldest daughter and sister of Larkin, Ridley and Ryan. She's a Sybil, meaning she can read faces, see the truth hidden inside people. She is a Light Caster.
- Barclay Kent: Lena's Uncle, Delphine's husband and father of Ridley, Reece, Larkin and Ryan. He is a Shifter and can morph things into other things for as longs as he likes. Barclay is a Light Caster.
- Hunting Ravenwood: Macon's brother. He is a blood Incubus.
- Mrs. Snow: Savannah's mother and member of the DAR.
- Prudence Jane Statham: Ethan's eldest great aunt and sister of Grace Ann and Mercy Lynne Statham. She dies in the third book.
- Grace Ann Statham: Ethan' second eldest great aunt and sister of Prudence Jane and Mercy Lynne Statham.
- Mercy Lynne Statham: Ethan's youngest great aunt and sister of Prudence Jane and Grace Ann Statham.
- Genevieve Katherine Duchannes: Lena's Ancestor. She was a Dark Caster. She'll be portrayed by Rachel Brosnahan.
- Harlon James: Aunt Prudence's Yorkshire terrier, he was named after her late husband.
- Ethan Carter Wate: Ethan's Ancestor as well as the one he is named after.
- Emily Asher: One of the girls at Jackson High who Ethan went on a date with once. She is the daughter of Mrs. Asher. She is best friends with Savannah Snow and they torment Lena upon her arrival due to her family relatives and mock and bully her relentlessly. They go so far as to attempt to get her kicked out of school, but fail when Macon intervenes. She will be portrayed by Zoey Deutch.
- Savannah Snow: Emily's best friend. She makes life in Gatlin horrible for Lena upon her arrival, always making fun of her and tormenting her. She and Emily attempt to get her kicked out of school - but fail - and ruin her first dance with Ethan. She is considered one of the most popular girls, along with Emily, and the captain of Stonewall Jackson High's cheerleading squad.
- Main article: Beautiful Creatures (film)
It was confirmed that Beautiful Creatures was set up to become a feature film by the Warner Bros company. However the years that followed, little, if any, action was being to make the novel into a movie. However, soon it was revealed that Richard LaGravenese would be the director of the movie along with Erwin Stoff producing the film. Shortly later after these given details, more and more news quickly were announced as that Viola Davis (The Help) would play Amma, Jack O'Connell (Skins) would be portraying Ethan, Alice Englert set to portray Lena and Emma Thompson in the dual roles of both Sarafine and Mrs. Lincoln. It was also announced on March 2, 2012 that Emmy Rossum (Shameless, Poseidon, The Day after Tomorrow) would be playing Ridley. Four days later on March 6, 2012 it was confirmed that Thomas Mann (Project X) would play Ethan's best friend and on/off boyfriend of Ridley, Link. Later on March 13, 2012 it was announced Jeremy Irons would be playing Lena's uncle, Macon. Later on it was told that Kyle Gallner would play Lena's cousin Larkin.
However later on, due to scheduling conflicts, Jack O'Connell had to let go of his given role and on April 11, 2012 it was announced Alden Ehrenreich was offcially set to portray Ethan. Production was set to begin in April 2012 with filming, being said by Kami Garcia herself, to be in and around New Orleans and with a theatrical release date for the movie on February 13, 2013.
- ↑ Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Beautiful Darkness - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Dream Dark - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Beautiful Chaos - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Beautiful Redemption - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Dangerous Dream - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Dangerous Creatures - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ Dangerous Deception - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ The Mortal Heart - Kami Garcia official website
- ↑ The Seer's Spread - LB Teens | Little, Brown Books for Teens - Hachette Book Group